The best magazine
Florida Security Officer Certification
- Since Florida is a Gulf Coast state, security training schools offer port and ship security classes for security officers. S2 Safety and Intelligence Institute, a Tampa-based training facility, also offers some distance education courses.
- Most classes require students to work in the security field as an officer or supervisor. Classes range from $50 for a maritime security training certificate completed at the North Florida Training and Security Associates in Jacksonville to $800 to $1,400 for entry-point screening training techniques at the S2 Institute.
- Certification courses don't take the place of earning a security license. Officers in Florida must complete their Class D (unarmed) and Class G (armed) licenses through the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing.
- The time to complete certification courses depends on the type of class taken. For instance, an anti-terrorism course can take at least two days, whereas an Automated External Defibrillators (AED) class is completed within one day.
- Certification can increase a licensed security officer's opportunity to advance in the field. Most security supervisors are required to possess a mixture of advanced security certifications and experience.