The best magazine
How to Replace the Headlight Switch on a 1996 Dodge Ram
- 1). After disconnecting the negative battery cable, return to the cab. Pull the cup holder out and use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the two retaining screws. Remove the cup holder.
- 2). Pull the ash tray out and use the Phillips head screwdriver to remove the two retaining screws. Remove the ashtray.
- 3). Grab the bezel (the plastic frame surrounding the instrument cluster) and pull straight out, detaching the retaining clips from the instrument panel.
- 4). Separate the electrical connector from behind the cigarette lighter by squeezing the tab on the black housing and pulling.
- 5). Use the Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the headlight-switch assembly retaining screws. These are the three screws that surround the headlight knob.
- 6). Pull the headlight-switch assembly away from the panel and separate the electrical connector at the rear. The is done by pressing the tab on the black housing and pulling.
- 7). Press the release button on the bottom of the switch and separate the knob and its shaft from the headlight switch.
- 1). Attach the knob and shaft to the new headlight switch and connect the headlight switch to the electrical connector. Fit the assembly back in place inside the panel.
- 2). Insert and tighten each of the three screws that hold the switch assembly in place.
- 3). Match the retaining clips on the back of the bezel with the tabs on the panel and press the bezel back in place.
- 4). Replace the ashtray and cup holder and tighten each of the accompanying screws. Reconnect the negative battery cable to the battery.